Advertisement
 

San Clemente : Durkin Drops Out of Council Race

Orange County Focus

October 13, 1992|ANNA CEKOLA

Citing a lack of campaign funds, longtime resident Jay Durkin, a strong proponent of term limits and pay cuts for top-level City Hall managers, has announced that he is dropping out of the City Council race.

"I just can't fight this huge, special-interest campaign," Durkin, 56, said Friday. "It's David and Goliath."

Durkin, a retired broadcaster and business owner, was one of seven candidates, including Councilman Scott Diehl and Councilwoman Candace Haggard, running for two open seats in the Nov. 3. election.

Durkin said he had been reconsidering his council bid for some time.

He said he didn't make a final decision until reviewing financial disclosure statements filed early last week.

According to the documents, Haggard has raised about $5,500, while Diehl has raised about $2,100.

"They just had too much money," Durkin said.

While Durkin said he will not vote for either incumbent, he did not offer any endorsements for the remaining challengers: Mark T. Blencowe, who has raised about $1,200 so far, and Glenn Edward Roy, Daniel R. Huard and David T. Leland, all three of whom filed campaign documents stating that they do not expect to raise or spend more than $1,000 at this time.

Although Durkin has dropped out of the race, his name will remain on the ballot.

Advertisement
Los Angeles Times Articles
|
|
|