COSTA MESA — This week's demise of the San Diego Foundation for Performing Arts will not affect the Paul Taylor Dance Company engagement Nov. 28 and 29 at the Orange County Performing Arts Center. Nor will it affect the remainder of the 1992-93 Center dance series, according to Center President Thomas R. Kendrick.
The San Diego facility canceled upcoming appearances by Taylor and three other companies in closing its doors permanently Wednesday because of lack of financial support.
"It does have an impact (for the long term) because costs can be shared when several venues cooperate in presenting a company," Kendrick said Thursday. "The fewer the presenters, the higher the costs.
"You also have to have a company that is . . . willing to tour for a reasonable fee," he said. "If companies get weak, one tendency is to raise their fee, and they can only do that within reasonable limits. Virtually every company is in some form of trouble, and so are many presenters at this point."
The alternatives to cooperative ventures between facilities are for a company to present itself or for a theater to present it alone. In that case, the theater pays the company a fee and covers all transportation and other costs, relying on ticket sales and private subsidy to cover expenses. The Center did this earlier this month when a U.S. tour by the Spanish National Ballet fell through because the Spanish government would not subsidize it.
"We are becoming forced into the position of taking single-shot engagements," Kendrick said. But for the future, he expects no cutbacks. "We have set aside reserves that will enable us to go through the next season, and are attempting to put that in place. It will be very difficult, but we are absolutely committed to the continuing presentation of dance. If there is any cutback in our dance presentations, it's because they are not available at any kind of reasonable cost. . . . This is a problem that is not going to go away anytime soon."