San Diego Girl Dies After Eating Burger: A 6-year-old San Diego girl, infected with the E. coli bacteria, died Dec. 28, within two weeks of eating a fast-food hamburger, a San Diego health official said. Two deaths and hundreds of illnesses in Washington, Nevada and Idaho have been linked to an outbreak of E. coli infections caused by undercooked tainted hamburgers served at Jack in the Box restaurants, a unit of Foodmaker Inc. The San Diego County health department said it is investigating seven cases of E. coli 0157:H7 infection from late December and early January, including the Dec. 28 fatality. "Some (of the San Diego victims) had indicated eating at Jack in the Box," county epidemiologist Michele Ginsberg said. She declined to say whether the girl who died had eaten at Jack in the Box.