YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollections

FISHING / DAN STANTON : Seabass Run Moves Action to Surface

April 01, 1993|DAN STANTON

The transition from winter rock cod fishing to full-time surface action has begun.

Indications are that a spring run of white seabass is under way, with local and island boats returning with notable catches.

Despite stormy conditions last weekend, sportfishing and private boats were able to catch rockfish on the surface and in shallow water.

The Long Beach Sportfishing boat Toronado worked off Santa Catalina Island and returned with limits of calico bass and three seabass.

Long Beach fishermen with seabass were jackpot winner Bruce Adams, who caught a 40-pounder, Robert Close with a 32-pounder and Mike Wiley with a 25-pounder.

Anglers are reminded that the daily limit of seabass is one until June 15.

Redondo Sport Fishing announced that the Barge Isle of Redondo will open for the season this weekend.

The barge is on a kelp and rock reef.

Anglers aboard the barge regularly catch bonito, bass, barracuda, yellowtail and a variety of rockfish.

The barge hours are from 7 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. daily. A shore boat departs hourly for the barge.

This is the last weekend to watch the whales on their return to the Bering Sea from Baja.

South Bay sportfishing landings will return the whale watch boats to regular daily fishing trips next week.

Catching grunion is not permitted During April and May.

But people who are interested in watching the grunion spawn can do so April 8 at the Cabrillo Marine Museum.

Participants can meet at 9 p.m. in the museum's auditorium. They will then join marine biologists at the beach to observe a spawning run.

Information: (310) 548-7562.

Local catches: Al Roundtree of Long Beach, aboard the Pacifica at Catalina, used a live squid for bait to catch the whopper of the week, a 53-pound seabass.

Jack Etter of Long Beach, aboard the Grande at Catalina, pulled a 40-pound seabass out of the kelp.

William Duker of West Los Angeles caught a 31 1/2-pound seabass during a trip aboard the Pronto at Catalina.

Chris Williams of San Pedro used a jig to catch a 20-pound seabass during a trip aboard the Pacifica at Catalina.

Eric Bryant of Lawndale landed a 16-pound halibut during a trip aboard the Betty O.

Los Angeles Times Articles