Advertisement

Arcana of Laguna Museum Slabs

April 04, 1993

Regarding the names stamped on the basement floor of the Laguna Art Museum in "Museum Uncovers Link to Past" (March 25), there is a bit more to the story.

Properly speaking, when the new building was constructed in 1933, it was still called the "Laguna Art Gallery." The nine concrete squares in the center of the floor were reserved for the directors. Sixty of the yard-square slabs were bought by the Junior Art Assn., which raised $80 from an entertainment. The rest of the squares were subscribed at $1.50 a piece by local artists and gallery boosters. Curiously, five squares were bought by "persons who would not permit their names to be used."

There was only one freebie.

In appreciation of her 15 years of volunteer work since the original gallery opened on July 27, 1918, the directors voted that one of the buck-and-a-half slabs should bear the name of Olive Trembley.

Mrs. Trembley was the janitor.

JIM SLEEPER

Tustin

Advertisement
Los Angeles Times Articles
|
|
|