Advertisement

Glendale / Burbank Focus

GLENDALE : 30 Evacuated Due to Leak of Toxic Fluid

June 04, 1993|TOMMY LI

Nearly 30 workers were evacuated from a Glendale office building after a half-gallon solution of ammonia leaked in one of the offices Thursday, officials said.

No injuries occurred as a result of the 9 a.m. spill at Che Systems Inc., a telephone services company at 436 W. Colorado St. Eleven other businesses occupy the two-story building.

Workers inside Che Systems contacted firefighters after noticing a printer was leaking ammonium hydroxide, said Rudolph Kalish, the building's owner.

The ammonia mix is used for making blueprints and could become poisonous if a large amount is inhaled or absorbed through the skin, Glendale Fire Battalion Chief Steve Howard said. To keep vapors from spreading through the air-conditioning system, a hazardous-materials crew used special equipment to blow the ammonium hydroxide out the roof, Howard said.

"Once it's diluted into the atmosphere, it's safe," he said.

Police blocked off a portion of Colorado Street between Pacific and Columbus avenues, and those evacuated--only about 30 because most of the offices were not yet open for business--returned around noon.

Advertisement
Los Angeles Times Articles
|
|
|