A fire that charred part of a Port Hueneme duplex was sparked by cigarettes in a bathroom, investigators said Thursday.
The blaze broke out about 3:30 p.m. Wednesday in the home in the 2600 block of Bolker Drive. Sixteen firefighters extinguished the blaze, which caused an estimated $2,000 in structure damage and $2,500 in damage to the home's contents, fire dispatcher Annie Ironside said.
Meanwhile, investigators are still searching for a reason for a second fire Wednesday afternoon that caused an estimated $65,000 in property damage to an Oak Park residence and destroyed $10,000 in property.
The fire erupted at 4:38 p.m. at the two-story residence at 837 Bellagio Court. Thirty firefighters and six engines were dispatched to the blaze. It was extinguished at 5:23 p.m.
The fire started in the garage and moved quickly to the second story and then into the attic, Ironside said.
No injuries were reported in either blaze.