Advertisement
 
(Page 2 of 2)

'Menace II Society' Filmmakers Going to Disney Land

July 27, 1993|CLAUDIA ELLER | TIMES MOVIE EDITOR

"They definitely did not want to make the picture," said Albert Hughes, allowing that "nobody believed in us then but New Line."

Allen Hughes added that when he and Albert sat down with Roth two weeks ago to discuss a possible deal, they were impressed: "The vibes were really good. He's sincere and honest and you don't find that very much in this town."

While the brothers declined to discuss what budget restrictions they are under (a source at the studio said the pictures will likely cost around $10 million), they said they have no desire to make big-budget movies. Said Allen Hughes: "We don't want to go out there and start flopping around."

Roth, who first met the Hughes brothers in January, said that he was "really impressed at how savvy they were at 21 years old." After seeing "Menace," which reminded him of Martin Scorsese's "Mean Streets," he found "their vision is honest and direct and yet their filmmaking is very sophisticated."

While "Menace II Society" has grossed an impressive $24.8 million at the box office so far, it is conceivable that the film may have reached an even broader audience with a bigger distribution company--like Disney.

Advertisement
Los Angeles Times Articles
|
|
|