Nancy Webber's work--part of a seemingly endless series in which artists and others pose as the figures in such well-known paintings as Leonardo's "Virgin of the Rocks" and Frida Kahlo's "Self-Portrait With Monkey"--is very thin stuff. Webber finds sitters whose physiognomies vaguely resemble those of the originals, and helps out with makeup and costumes. But after you've marveled at one or two, the game gets tiresome--rather like a close-up view of the Pageant of the Masters, without the narration.
* What: "Contemporary Color."
* When: 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Friday; also on two Saturdays: July 31 and Aug. 28. Through Sept. 3.
* Where: BankAmerica Gallery, 555 Anton Blvd., Costa Mesa.
* Whereabouts: San Diego (405) Freeway to Bristol Street offramp. Go north to Anton Boulevard and turn right; gallery is on first floor of the BankAmerica building.
* Wherewithal: Admission is free (parking is free for the first 30 minutes, then 75 cents per half-hour).
* Where to call: (714) 433-6000.
IN NEWPORT BEACH: 'YOUTH IN ASIA'
Terry Allen's sprawling multimedia piece, at Newport Harbor Art Museum through Sept. 12, explores the impact of the Vietnam War on individual lives via such devices as cross-cultural imagery, poetic texts stamped on sheet lead, and tapes alternating '60s music and gunfire. (714) 759-1122.