Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollections

NOTEBOOK : Undefeated De La Hoya Seeks Win No. 9 as a Pro

August 22, 1993|CHARLES SMITH and SEAN WATERS | SPECIAL TO THE TIMES

Oscar De La Hoya will seek his ninth victory in as many fights as a professional Friday in a junior lightweight bout against Angelo Nunez at the Regent Beverly Wilshire Hotel in Beverly Hills.

The fight is the main event of a four-fight card that will be televised live on KCOP-TV Channel 13 starting at 8 p.m. Nunez comes in with a record of 10-4.

Since his professional debut Nov. 23, De La Hoya, who won a gold medal at the 1984 Los Angeles Olympics, has easily disposed of his opponents, with only Mike Grable of Rochester, N.Y., able to go the full eight rounds. In his last fight on Aug. 14, De La Hoya stopped Renaldo Carter of Detroit in the sixth round with a technical knockout in a bout at Bay St. Louis, Miss.

"The pro style suits me well," said De La Hoya, an East Los Angeles native who went 225-5 as an amateur and was twice the national lightweight champion. "Things I could not do as an amateur, I can do as a pro, like working the body. My goal was to wear the gold at the Olympics and I succeeded. Now, I want to win a world title. If I train hard, I know my best days are ahead of me."

De La Hoya's trainer, Robert Alcazar, concurs with his young pugilist.

"We enjoy fighting professionally because there are not as many stipulations as in amateur boxing," Alcazar said. "We are able to concentrate on one opponent rather than several opponents on an upcoming fight."

Proceeds from Friday night's card will benefit the American Diabetes Assn.

*

Expulsion appealed--Fremont High point guard Tommie Davis is awaiting word on an appeal to his expulsion from the school in June for disciplinary reasons.

Davis was expelled after a fight with another Fremont basketball player. Reached at home last week, Davis said he was coaxed into that fight and that his mother, Dorothy Bates, has filed an appeal with the Los Angeles Unified School District.

If district officials deny his appeal, Davis said he will likely transfer to Crenshaw, the state Division I champion. A recent report in the Long Beach Press Telegram said Davis "could end up at Serra if he isn't readmitted to Fremont," but Davis said last week that his preference is Fremont first, Crenshaw second.

"I want to go to Fremont because the coaches there have done so much for me," Davis said. "It wouldn't be fair for me to leave and play for another team. If I don't go to Fremont, I won't go to Serra. I'll go to Crenshaw."

Had Davis decided to attend Serra, he would have joined talented 6-6 guard Rick Price, who transferred earlier this summer from Long Beach St. Anthony. Price is considered one of the top shooting guards in the nation and Davis is considered one of the 15 best point guards. It would have been a formidable back court for Serra, which lost five starters from last year's State Division IV championship team.

On the other hand, if Davis attends Crenshaw, the Cougars could become one of the top teams in the nation, with returning players Kris Johnson, who was the City Player of the Year, highly touted forwards Tremaine Fowlkes and Reggie McFerren, and 6-7 center Leon Watson. Davis would fill the Cougars' need for an established point guard.

With the addition of Davis, the Cougars would have five potential Division I recruits in their starting lineup. Davis, who already has met all NCAA academic requirements, has narrowed his choice of schools to Arizona, USC, Providence, Houston and Boston College.

*

Fall previews--Wednesday was the first day of football practice for City Section schools. Southern Section teams begin workouts Monday. Regular season games begin Sept. 10.

Boys' and girls' cross-country, girls' tennis and girls' volleyball begin practice this week.

Advertisement
Los Angeles Times Articles
|
|
|