Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollections

Residents Sue County Over Sewer Fees

September 05, 1993

MALIBU — Two Malibu property owners have sued Los Angeles County to recoup money they paid into a special fund to build a $43-million sewer system before the county abandoned its plans.

A lawyer for Everett McTaggart and O.P. Reed said last week that he plans to seek class-action status for the case, which would mean refunds to all those who paid the assessment if they win.

"Our effort will be to collect it all back," said Richard Laskin, the attorney.

The county formally abandoned its plans for the sewer system last year, and last June reached an agreement with Malibu over future liability for landslides and other potential problems attributable to abandonment of the project.

Since the sewer district was established four years ago, 2,200 residential and commercial property owners in the district have been billed more than $12 million. Although not a shovel of dirt was turned, the county has paid nearly $11 million for engineering, legal and other fees.

Advertisement
Los Angeles Times Articles
|
|
|