Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollectionsRescues

Orange County Focus

ANAHEIM : Woman Rescued From Home Fire

September 08, 1993|GREG HERNANDEZ

A woman was rescued from her burning house by firefighters who found her unconscious in a back bedroom early Tuesday.

Juanita Musty, 62, called the Fire Department at 1:23 a.m. and told a dispatcher about an appliance fire in her home in the 100 block of Avenida Encina before losing telephone contact, said Anaheim Fire Cmdr. Steve Magliocco.

A neighbor, Ron Lopez, 47, saw the fire and went to the house to help Musty. Lopez kicked in the door and was yelling for his neighbor when firefighters arrived.

Musty "was unconscious and in cardiac arrest," Magliocco said. "Paramedics worked on her on the way to the hospital and she slowly began shallow breathing on her own."

Musty was taken to Kaiser Permanente Hospital-Orange County in Anaheim, where she was put on a respirator. She was later transferred to Western Medical Center-Santa Ana, where she is reported in serious condition.

Officials said smoke inhalation caused Musty's cardiac arrest.

Lopez suffered from minor smoke inhalation and was treated at the scene.

The fire, caused by a faulty extension cord, caused damage estimated at $45,000. It took 17 firefighters about 10 minutes to bring the blaze under control. No other homes were damaged.

Advertisement
Los Angeles Times Articles
|
|
|