The Tallships Festival in Dana Point coincides with another nautically themed celebration on the Orange County coast, the Newport SeaFest, opening Friday and continuing through Sept. 19.
Events in the SeaFest include an 8K and 4K run/walk, a sandcastle contest, an arts and crafts fair, boat races and a pier swim.
The Tallships Festival will be held in Dana Point Harbor on Saturday and Sunday from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. The tall ship Pilgrim will rendezvous offshore with other vessels in the festival and glide into Dana Point Harbor about noon Saturday.
Joining the Pilgrim will be two classic square topsail schooners, the 90-foot Swift of Ipswich and the 60-foot Witch of Wood, in addition to five traditionally rigged 70-foot schooners. Other escort vessels include an 82-foot Coast Guard cutter and a high-tech 130-foot catamaran, the Seajet I.
The Pilgrim, the Swift of Ipswich and the Witch of Wood will be open for tours beginning at 2 p.m. Saturday and 11 a.m. Sunday. The Seajet I will be open for viewing beginning at 2 p.m. Saturday.
Booths and exhibits will be open at the Marine Institute throughout the festival, including marine paintings, photo displays and a scrimshaw demonstration. Costumed sailors will sing sea chanteys and demonstrate sailing skills.
The Newport SeaFest opens Friday, Sept. 10 with the opening of a new exhibit at the Newport Harbor Nautical Museum, tracing the city's seafaring history with photographs and other artifacts. Regular museum hours are Wednesday through Sunday, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m., but an opening reception will be held Friday evening. Call (714) 673-3377 for details.
Other events in the SeaFest include:
* An outrigger race from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Saturday at the Newport Dunes Resort. Information: (714) 675-5777.
* The Marine Forest Society on Saturday will be host to fin swimming and snorkel diving competitions in a man-made underwater garden just south of the Balboa Pier. Information: (714) 998-8191.
* The Balboa Peninsula Arts and Music Festival, Saturday from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., will feature arts and crafts booths and live music near the foot of the Balboa Pier. Admission is free.
* The Newport Beach Public Library will hold an open house Sunday from noon to 4 p.m., with puppet shows, stories and songs. Information: (714) 644-3188.
* A sandcastle contest will be held at Corona del Mar State Beach on Sunday from noon to 3 p.m. Information: (714) 729-4400.
* "White Linen and Jazz," a benefit for the Orange County Performing Arts Center in Costa Mesa, will be held Sunday from 5 to 9 p.m. at the Hyatt Newporter amphitheater. Information: (714) 990-2732.
The second weekend of the SeaFest will include performances of "Mr. Roberts" by the Newport Theater Arts Center, opening Friday, Sept. 17. Information: (714) 642-3555.
"Taste of Newport," which offers a chance to sample foods from more than 40 area restaurants, will open Friday, Sept. 17, from 5 to 11 p.m. and continue Saturday, Sept. 18, from 3 to 11 p.m. and Sunday, Sept. 19 from noon to 8 p.m. It will be held at Fashion Island. Information: (714) 548-4942.
Other events include:
* Newport pier swim, Saturday, Sept. 18 from 8 to 11 a.m. Information: (714) 644-3044.
* Voyagers Yacht Club/SeaFest Challenge Cup, Saturday, Sept. 18, at noon. Information: (714) 723-0864.
* Kite Festival, Saturday and Sunday, Sept. 18 and 19, at the foot of the Balboa Pier. The festival will feature demonstrations and contests. Information: (714) 673-0450.
* The Four Seasons 8K and 4K run and walk will be held Sunday, Sept. 19, beginning at 7:30 a.m. Information: (714) 661-6062.