* Skilled carpenters, painters, plumbers, electricians are needed at area shelters. A partial listing of places in need:
--Chernow House for Homeless Families, contact Rosa Carrillo, (213) 264-1114;
--Gramercy Place Shelter, Marlene Singer, (213) 387-0171;
--Rainbow Services for Survivors of Domestic Violence, Cindy Jacobs, (310) 548-5450;
--West Hollywood Homeless Organization, Karen Jenkins-Galloway, (213) 850-4069.
* Red Cloud American Indian Society in Irvine needs help preparing items for shipment to tribes in some of the coldest and most economically deprived areas of Montana, North Dakota and South Dakota. Donations needed include new heavy blankets, shoes and clothing for all family members, children's books and toys, linens, towels and other household items. Schools are in need of textbooks, computers and supplies. Information: (714) 833-3865.
* Recording for the Blind needs people with backgrounds in the sciences, law, medicine and languages, to transcribe textbooks from the printed page to audio cassettes, Monday through Saturday, including evenings. Daytime office help is also needed. Information: (213) 664-5525.
* Chosin Few Fund founded to develop the first International Korean Veterans Memorial, a 12-statue monument at Angels Gate Park in San Pedro needs public speakers, fund-raisers and event planners. Monument dedication is scheduled for December 1994. Office help is also needed. Information: (213) 744-1288.
* Vegetarian Society provides speakers and literature dealing with nutrition and healthy eating by eliminating animal fat from diets to reduce heart disease and breast cancer. Volunteers attend community gatherings, schools and set up booths at health fairs. Information: (310) 839-6207.
* Central American Resource Center (CARECEN) provides legal, social and educational services to refugees and immigrants. Donating two or three hours a week will help. Information: Edwin Urbina, (213) 483-6868, Ext. 133.