* Join a club. Retail warehouse clubs, such as Price Club and Pace, sell groceries and big-ticket items at discount prices. Savings can quickly offset the typical $25 membership fee. For dining out, restaurant clubs offer discounts of 20% to 50% at participating establishments. Annual fees range from $25 to $50.
* Buy in bulk. Wholesale food services, which sell bulk orders of frozen meats, seafood and other groceries through home delivery, can cut costs by as much as 40%, experts say.
* Prepare more of your own meals. Many dishes are surprisingly quick and easy to make, especially with a little practice. Pizza can be prepared within the time it takes for delivery, at a fraction of the cost.
* Shop around for prescription drugs. Generic drugs can cut costs by as much as 70%, but get the approval of your doctor or pharmacist first. Another option: mail-order pharmacies, which give discounts of up to 40%.
* Stick with basic styles. As simple as it sounds, buying clothes with traditional styling lets you design a wardrobe that will last for years, not months.
* Buy washable clothes. Many new delicate materials, including some silks, don't need costly dry-cleaning. Check the label.
* Start on the bottom rung of the price ladder. For kids' wear and casual outfits, start looking at yard sales, thrift shops and consignment stores. If you don't find what you're looking for, move up to discount retailers and manufacturers' outlets.
* Look for freebies. Many community organizations sponsor films, shows, speakers and performances at little or no cost. Many public libraries offer videos for free or for a nominal charge.
* Entertain at home. Instead of a night on the town with friends, invite them over for dinner. You'll save money, have more privacy and avoid crowds. You'll double your savings if they return the favor.
A variety of publications offer money-saving tips. For free sample newsletters, send a long, stamped, self-addressed envelope.
* The Banker's Secret Bulletin, P.O. Box 78, Elizaville, N.Y. 12523.
* Cheapskate Monthly, P.O. Box 2135, Paramount, Calif. 90723.
* The Penny Pincher, P.O. Box 809, Kings Park, N.Y. 11754.
* The Tightwad Gazette, R.R. 1, Box 3570L, Leeds, Me. 04263.