Following is a list of Caltrans highway improvement projects that will get under way this year.
1. Simi Valley Freeway (118). Widen freeway and add car-pool lane along a 12-mile section from just west of the Los Angeles-Ventura county line to the Golden State Freeway (5). Cost: $46 million. Begins: December, 1994. Ends: December, 1996.
2. Ventura Freeway (101) in Calabasas. Widen over-crossing and add northbound ramps. Cost: $7.4 million. Begins: fall, 1994. Ends: fall, 1995.
3. Pacific Coast Highway (California 1) at Malibu Lagoon. Replace bridge. Cost: $8.8 million. Construction: June to December for three years.
4. Ventura Freeway (134) in Glendale. Build median barrier and add car-pool lane along a four-mile stretch from the Los Angeles River to just east of Glendale Freeway (2). Cost: $6.9 million. Begins: April, 1994. Ends: April, 1995.
5. Ventura Freeway (134) in Los Angeles and Pasadena. Add car-pool lane along a four-mile stretch from just east of Glendale Freeway (2) to Ventura Freeway (134). Cost: $9.2 million. Begins: September, 1994. Ends: August, 1995.
6. Foothill Freeway (210) in Pasadena. Build car-pool on-ramp and mixed-flow off-ramp at Fair Oaks Avenue. Cost: $4.2 million. Begins: December, 1994. Ends: mid-1996.
7. Santa Ana Freeway (5) in East Los Angeles. Build a half-mile sound wall along southbound freeway from Bonnie Beach Place to Ditman Avenue. Cost: $1.7 million. Begins: fall, 1994. No completion date given.
8. California 47 (Ocean Boulevard) at Navy Way in San Pedro. Build over-crossing. Cost: $38 million. Begins: winter, 1994. Ends: summer, 1996.
9. Long Beach Freeway (710) at Pico Avenue in Long Beach. Build interchange. Cost: $25 million. Begins: summer, 1994. Ends: summer, 1995.
10. Pomona Freeway (60) at Phillips Ranch Road in Chino. Add two on-ramps and widen over-crossing. Cost: $3.5 million. Begins: summer, 1994. Ends: summer, 1995.
11. California 126 (Magic Mountain Parkway and San Fernando Road) in Saugus. Widen highway from Valencia Boulevard to Drayton Street, install signals at intersection and replace South Fork Santa Clara River Bridge. Cost: $5.8 million. Begins: spring, 1994. Ends: summer, 1995.
12. California 126 (San Fernando Road) in Newhall. Widen highway from Placerita Creek to Lyons Avenue, add signals and replace Newhall Creek Bridge. Cost: $3.5 million. Begins: summer, 1994. Ends: spring, 1995.
13. California 138 (Pearblossom Highway) near Littlerock. Build passing lanes and channel from just east of Chesboro Road to 77th Street East. Cost: $2.5 million. Begins: spring, 1994. Ends: spring, 1995.
Source: California Department of Transportation