YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollections

Santa Clarita / Antelope Valley : Man to Stand Trial in Deaths of 2 Women : Lancaster: Judge orders Homer Tyrone Lewis to face murder charges. Witness testifies he threatened one victim just hours before killing.


LANCASTER — A Lancaster man accused of murdering two women allegedly threatened the life of one of the victims just hours before she was killed, according to court testimony Wednesday.

Municipal Judge Ian Grant ordered Homer Tyrone Lewis, 29, held for trial on two charges of murder, after a preliminary hearing that lasted nearly five hours.

Lewis is accused of killing Lisa Juve, 21, and Diana Cross, 22. The women were shot the morning of Oct. 20 in Juve's Lancaster apartment.

Juve's daughter, who was 15 months old at the time, and Cross's daughter, who was 2 months old, were in the apartment at the time of the shooting. The children, as well as Juve's 4-year-old son, are in the custody of family members.

Juve was pronounced dead at the scene from two gunshot wounds to the head. Cross died Oct. 29 of a single gunshot wound to the head.

Lewis, who was living with his pregnant wife in Lancaster, was paroled from state prison four months before the shooting. He was released three years before completing a 13-year sentence for fatally shooting a teen-ager during a robbery.

Juve and Cross met Lewis at a party about two weeks before the shooting and Cross began an affair with him, Valbert Lumas of Lancaster testified.

Lewis and Cross got into a fight at a party at Juve's apartment and Lewis hit Cross in the face, Lumas said. Juve, Lumas said, called the Sheriff's Department. According to Sheriff's Sgt. Ken Gallatin, before deputies arrived, it was agreed that Lewis would go home and deputies would be told everything was fine.

If the deputy had been told what Lewis had done, Lewis likely would have been arrested for violating his parole, Gallatin said.

Lumas testified that Lewis left the party shortly after the incident early in the morning of Oct. 20, but called Juve's apartment later that morning, telling Lumas several times that "he'd kill her (Cross) if she wouldn't get on the phone."

Cross never did speak on the telephone that morning to Lewis, according to Lumas.

Lewis is scheduled to be arraigned Jan. 26 in Superior Court. Prosecutors, alleging special circumstances, may seek the death penalty.

Los Angeles Times Articles