THE 6.6 QUAKE : On the Rebound: Coping With the Quake : How to Get FEMA on the Job for You

January 23, 1994

People who lost homes and property in the earthquake can apply for local, state and federal assistance from the Federal Emergency Management Agency to repair property or to relocate.

Homeowners and tenants can qualify for relocation grants, which cover typical rents for up to 18 months. Citizenship or proof of legal residency is not required. Call (800) 462-9029, a 24-hour number, to register with FEMA or visit an office. An inspector will visit within 10 days. Callers need to provide the following information:

* Date of earthquake.

* Social Security number.

* Family's gross income before the earthquake.

* A telephone number where applicants can be reached or where a message can be left.

* Any insurance coverage, company name, agent's name and telephone.

* Directions to the home from the nearest intersection.

This information will be used as the basis for an application for the Disaster Housing Program. Even if you have insurance coverage, FEMA will send out a damage verifier. The Disaster Housing Program will determine what type of assistance you require to meet your housing needs.

* FEMA can provide aid for small repairs and grants for such needs as replacing essential household items. Those grants, typically awarded to people on fixed incomes, can be used to pay for quake-related medical expenses or funerals.

* The disaster relief agency provides low-interest loans, processed by the Small Business Administration, to cover the loss of uninsured residential property and personal effects.

* The maximum loan is $120,000 ($100,000 real estate, $20,000 personal) and can be used to rebuild, replace or repair your residence. Renters can apply for loans up to $20,000 for personal property damage.

* There is no list of guidelines that determines eligibility. Officials emphasize that they evaluate applications on a case-by-case basis.

* The loan program will not approve a loan if you cannot afford to repay one. If you cannot repay a loan, you will be referred to the Individual and Family Grant Program.

* The grant program is administered by the state and can grant up to $12,200, in addition to a state supplemental program providing an additional $10,000.

These FEMA application centers will be open from 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. daily:

* Crenshaw

Department of Water and Power

4030 Crenshaw Blvd., Los Angeles 90008

* Fillmore

St. Francis Catholic Church Community Hall

1058 Ventura St., Fillmore 93016

* Hollywood/Fairfax

Hollywood Recreation Center

1122 Cole Ave., Hollywood 90038

* Northridge/Granada Hills

Winnetka Recreation Center

8401 Winnetka Ave., Northridge 91306

* Panorama City/Sunland

Stonehurst Recreation Center

9901 Dronfield Ave., Los Angeles 91352

* Reseda/Tarzana

Balboa Recreation Center

17015 Burbank Blvd., Tarzana 91316

* Santa Clarita/Saugus

Canyon Country Park

17615 Soledad Canyon Road, Santa Clarita 91351

* Santa Monica

Retail Space

1431-33 2nd St., Santa Monica 90401

* Sherman Oaks/Van Nuys

Van Nuys Recreation Center

14301 Vanowen Ave., Van Nuys 91405

* South Central

4211 S. Avalon Blvd., Los Angeles 90011

* Van Nuys/Sherman Oaks

14201 Huston St., Sherman Oaks 91403

* Simi Valley

Sycamore Drive Community Center

1692 Sycamore Dr., Simi Valley 93065

* Sylmar/San Fernando

Sylmar Recreation Center

12109 Borden Ave., Sylmar 91342

More centers will open as officials find sites and train employees.

Los Angeles Times Articles