Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollectionsFixme

U.S. to Resume Talks With North Korea

March 04, 1994|Times Wire Services

WASHINGTON — The United States agreed Thursday to resume high-level talks with North Korea and to suspend military exercises with South Korea.

The announcement followed the start earlier in the day of international nuclear inspections in the North and talks at the border between North and South Korea.

A State Department official said that a third round of U.S.-North Korean talks is to begin in Geneva on March 21 and that the training exercises will be suspended for this year only.

South Korea announced suspension of the exercises before the release of a State Department statement that said the decision "will not weaken our joint capabilities." North Korea had viewed the exercises as preparation for war.

Advertisement
Los Angeles Times Articles
|
|
|