Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollections

Ralphs Cancels Plan to Build Store in Acton

March 10, 1994

ACTON — In a surprise move, Ralphs Grocery Co. has canceled its controversial plans to build a 40,000-square-foot store in Acton, county officials said.

Ralphs officials said they would not comment until next week on the reason for their decision. The announcement came the day before a hearing was scheduled on the proposal.

"Needless to say, it's highly unusual to get this close to a decision and withdraw, especially after they've had one hearing," said Dave Vannatta, planning deputy for County Supervisor Michael Antonovich.

The store faced opposition from many Acton residents fearful of overdevelopment in their rural community.

They asked Ralphs to scale back proposed operating hours from always open to a 6 a.m. to midnight schedule, to limit signs advertising alcohol sales and provide security.

After first balking, Ralphs agreed to the requests. A public hearing had been scheduled for Thursday.

Advertisement
Los Angeles Times Articles
|
|
|