Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollections

Rams Match Redskins' Deal to Woods : Pro football: Team also will attempt to sign Atlanta offensive tackle Mike Kenn.

March 31, 1994|T.J. SIMERS

ANAHEIM — The Rams tried to keep defensive end Tony Woods from moving to the Washington Redskins Wednesday and attempted to convince offensive tackle Mike Kenn to leave Atlanta.

Kenn, president of the NFL Players Assn., met with team officials at Rams Park. The Rams reviewed Kenn's work on videotape, and believe he has the pass-blocking skills to start at left tackle and protect his former teammate, quarterback Chris Miller, who recently signed with the Rams.

"We're going to give it a try, and see if we can sign him," said Jay Zygmunt, Ram senior vice president.

Zygmunt admitted he was skeptical about Kenn's intentions, however. Kenn, 38, has played 16 years with the Falcons and has a $1.2 million offer on the table to return to Atlanta, although the Falcons have informed him that he must take that offer by today or risk it being removed.

If Kenn leaves Atlanta, the Falcons are expected to try to sign Ram tackle Jackie Slater. Slater met with Falcon officials earlier this week.

"We're very interested," said June Jones, Atlanta coach.

The Rams moved quickly Wednesday to stop the Redskins from signing Woods, who started eight games for the team a year ago. The Redskins offered Woods $1.7 million for two years, including a $500,000 signing bonus.

The Rams matched the Redskins' offer and reminded Woods that they were the only team to step forward when Seattle released him before last season.

The Rams' offer, however, is structured differently than the Redskins' and does not appear as attractive. The Rams did not offer Woods a signing bonus, and said instead they would pay him a base salary of $850,000 for each of the next two seasons. The money is not guaranteed.

"We haven't heard what he has decided," Zygmunt said.

Advertisement
Los Angeles Times Articles
|
|
|