LAS VEGAS — With Kevin Wynn and her parents watching intently from the front row of a crowded courtroom Thursday, a jury returned guilty verdicts against two men who abducted her last summer.
Jurors deliberated about five hours before finding Ray Cuddy and Jacob Sherwood guilty of all charges stemming from the July 26 abduction of Wynn from her Las Vegas home.
Wynn and her parents declined to comment as they rushed from the courtroom after thanking prosecutors and investigators.
"We'll talk sometime," high-profile gaming executive Steve Wynn said as he walked arm in arm with his daughter.
Cuddy, the ringleader of the kidnaping plot, stood impassively with his hands in his pockets as the jury announced the verdicts.
Cuddy and Sherwood were charged with extortion, money laundering and weapons charges. (They were not charged with kidnaping because they were tried in federal court, and federal kidnaping charges require evidence of the victim being transported across state lines.)
"It was disappointing, but not entirely unexpected," said Cuddy's attorney, Mitch Posin.
Sherwood's attorney, Dan Albregts, said he would try to persuade U.S. District Judge Lloyd George before the scheduled Aug. 5 sentencing that his client deserves less of a sentence than Cuddy.
"The fight's not over," he said. "I'm still going to try to get as little sentence as possible."
Prosecutor Tom O'Connell said the two men, who had been offered plea bargains prior to the trial, were "foolish to go to trial." He said he would ask for sentences of about 25 years for each defendant.
Kevin Wynn was released unharmed two hours after the incident began, when her father paid a ransom of $1.45 million.
Prosecutors said Cuddy, 47, had fallen on hard times and was devastated when he saw a $500,000 judgment he had won slip through his fingers when it was set aside by an appellate court.
He had "crashed to the bottom of the heap" when he recruited Sherwood, 22, a former co-worker at a Sacramento truck stop, to help in the kidnaping.