* COACH: Dimitar Penev.
* KEY PLAYERS: Hristo Stoichkov, Emil Kostadinov, Krasimir Balakov.
* STRENGTHS: There is enough firepower in the front line to provide the goals, with Stoichkov a world-class striker and Kostadinov having shown his touch in qualifying play. The defense is well marshaled by Petar Houbtchev. Balakov is a midfielder leader with a fine free kick.
* WEAKNESSES: Stoichkov's fiery temperament could land him in trouble with World Cup referees, who will be strict. If he is banished, Bulgaria's hopes will vanish because the team has no other truly outstanding performers.
* WORLD CUP HISTORY: Five previous appearances. Record of 0-10-6. Best finish was second round in Mexico '86.
* LITTLE-KNOWN FACT: Penev, the coach and former central defender, played in the 1966, 1970 and 1974 World Cup tournaments.
* OUTLOOK: In a group featuring four teams with obvious weaknesses, Bulgaria has the ability to make the second round. It should beat Greece and could cause Argentina problems in a potential free-for-all battle in Dallas in the last first-round match.
* PREDICTED FIRST-ROUND FINISH: Third.
No. Name Position 1 Borislav Mikhailov Goalkeeper 12 Plamen Nikolov Goalkeeper 2 Emil Kremenliev Defender 3 Trifon Ivanov Defender 4 Tsanko Tzvetanov Defender 5 Petar Houbtchev Defender 15 Nikolai Iliev Defender 16 Ilian Kiriakov Defender 6 Zlatko Iankov Midfielder 9 Yordan Letchkov Midfielder 11 Daniel Borimirov Midfielder 19 Georgi Gueorguiev Midfielder 20 Krasimir Balakov Midfielder 7 Emil Kostadinov Forward 8 Hristo Stoichkov Forward 13 Ivailo Iordanov Forward 14 Boncho Guentchev Forward 10 Nasko Sirakov Forward 17 Petar Mijtarski Forward 18 Petar Alexandrov Forward 21 Velko Iotov Forward 22 Ivailo Andronov Forward