Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollections

East Valley Focus

NORTH HOLLYWOOD : Caan Won't Face Gun Charge, City Says

August 16, 1994|JULIO MORAN

Los Angeles prosecutors disclosed Monday that actor James Caan will not face a misdemeanor charge for allegedly brandishing a gun during an argument with a rap musician in North Hollywood earlier this year.

"We really can't go into the facts of the matter. There is simply insufficient evidence to support a conviction," said Richard A. Schmidt, supervising deputy at the city attorney's Van Nuys branch.

Caan's attorney, Howard L. Weitzman, said he was pleased with the decision.

"We think it is the appropriate decision, given the facts as they learned," Weitzman said.

Caan was booked March 10 after musician Doc Rapper, whose real name is Derek Lee, accused the actor of bringing out a gun during an argument in an apartment building parking lot.

Caan, who was at the complex to visit his brother, was questioned by a city attorney hearing officer at a closed meeting on July 27. The city attorney's decision not to file charges was based in part on the hearing officer's recommendation.

The actor, however, still faces a lawsuit filed last month by Leesa Anne Roland, who says she began dating Caan last year. Roland alleges that Caan beat and choked her at a Century City hotel earlier this year.

In the meantime, Weitzman has confirmed that Caan voluntarily entered a drug-rehabilitation center last month, although he would not name the facility nor say when the actor would be released.

"It would be inappropriate to say where, but I can say that the treatment is going at such a pace that he will be out sooner than we expected," Weitzman said.

Advertisement
Los Angeles Times Articles
|
|
|