Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollections

COMMUNITY NEWS

LONG BEACH : Organizers of Shelter Seeking New Sponsor

August 18, 1994|JOHN COX

Organizers of a stalled homeless shelter at the former naval housing facility in west Long Beach are scrambling for funding after the initial sponsor withdrew from the project.

The Los Angeles Mission last month withdrew its pledge to provide most of the funding and some personnel for the shelter because of federal guidelines that prohibit mandatory religious instruction at the site, a mission spokeswoman said.

Long Beach-based Christian Outreach Appeal initially proposed the homeless project, and secured the funding agreement with the mission. About 200 apartment units at the former Cabrillo and Savannah naval housing projects would be converted to temporary residences for homeless families and individuals. Christian Outreach Appeal had hoped to open the units in January.

Now, the Salvation Army is seeking a $2-million grant from the Housing and Urban Development Department and has offered to operate the facilities if the grant is approved, said Daryl Ogden, director of a Salvation Army shelter in Bell. The organization does not require religious services at its facilities, Ogden said.

If the HUD money is approved, the Salvation Army still could open the facility by the January deadline, he added.

The 22-acre housing project was approved by the Navy last month.

Advertisement
Los Angeles Times Articles
|
|
|