Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollections

Man Injured in Apartment Fire

August 19, 1994

A fire at a Tujunga apartment building sent a man to the hospital for smoke inhalation and caused about $15,000 damage to his unit, a Los Angeles Fire Department spokesman said.

The man, whose name has not been released, was resuscitated by rescuers, but suffered no life-threatening injuries, said spokesman Brian Humphrey.

"There were no apparent burns, but he was overcome by smoke," Humphrey said.

The fire broke out about 7:30 a.m. Thursday in a second-floor unit in the complex at 10034 Samoa Ave., Humphrey said. It took 25 firefighters about 10 minutes to extinguish the blaze.

Rescuers found the injured man, described as being in his 40s, in the apartment's bathroom. He was not breathing.

Fire officials said the blaze apparently was started by a cigarette left burning on a couch in the injured man's apartment, fire officials said.

"It looks like it was caused by careless smoking," Humphrey said.

Advertisement
Los Angeles Times Articles
|
|
|