Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollections

East Ventura County Focus

THOUSAND OAKS : Council OKs $15,030 to Help Save Bases

September 22, 1994|STEPHANIE SIMON

Although their constituents live far from the county's two Navy bases, Thousand Oaks council members have agreed to contribute $15,030 to a task force lobbying to keep Port Hueneme and Point Mugu open.

The money allocated Tuesday night will help fund the effort to persuade federal officials to keep the Naval Construction Battalion Center at Port Hueneme and the Point Mugu Naval Air Weapons Station off a list of bases targeted for closure.

The group aims to collect $350,000 from local businesses and city governments and hire a Washington lobbyist. So far, only the Port Hueneme City Council has refused the task force's plea for a contribution.

The cities of Oxnard, Ventura, Camarillo and Simi Valley have all pitched in, and other councils will consider the issue in the next few weeks.

"We can clearly see how important this particular program is to the county of Ventura," Thousand Oaks Mayor Alex Fiore said.

The BRAC '95 task force, named for the federal Base Realignment and Closure Commission it plans to lobby, has earned support from local taxpayer advocates.

"This is one of the few times you'll see the Ventura County Taxpayers Assn. in front of you, asking you to spend city money," said the group's director, Mike Saliba.

The federal commission will release its list of bases for possible closure in March.

Advertisement
Los Angeles Times Articles
|
|
|