YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollections

Colts' Dawkins Catches On : AFC: After lecture on sideline last week, he responds with two key receptions that set up touchdowns in 17-15 victory over Seahawks.

October 03, 1994

INDIANAPOLIS — Sean Dawkins learned his lesson.

He was lectured on the sideline last week after repeated drops and missed signals, but he set up two touchdown runs by Marshall Faulk with big catches Sunday as the Indianapolis Colts defeated the Seattle Seahawks, 17-15.

The Colts (2-3) snapped a three-game losing streak, holding Seattle (3-2) to a pair of field goals by John Kasay and a safety through the first three quarters. The Seahawks got a 30-yard touchdown pass from Rick Mirer to Kelvin Martin on the second play of the fourth quarter.

Dawkins caught five passes for 99 yards from Jim Harbaugh, including a 49-yarder that set up a five-yard touchdown run by Faulk late in the first quarter and a 36-yarder that led to Faulk's second touchdown in the third period.

Faulk, the AFC's leading rusher, gained 90 yards on 26 carries. He has run for 459 yards this season; Pittsburgh's Barry Foster, who plays tonight against Houston, has 403.

Harbaugh, who angrily shouted at Dawkins after his miscues in a 21-14 loss to Cleveland, had no hesitation going back to the second-year receiver.

"I wasn't throwing the ball well and Sean caught some badly thrown passes," Harbaugh said. "He's a great receiver and for him to come back and have a great game proves that point."

Said Dawkins: "There are obvious reasons . . . frustration, that's why people yell at each other. Those are the situations that were happening. The best thing to do is reconcile your differences and come back and talk about your problems and work through them. That's what we did."

With Indianapolis leading, 10-8, Harbaugh hit Dawkins with the 36-yarder on the Colts' third play of the second half. A 14-yard pass to Roosevelt Potts and an 8-yard run by Harbaugh helped Indianapolis to the Seattle 3, and Faulk scored from the 1 on a fourth-down run.

The Seahawks pulled within two points on Martin's touchdown catch on a 67-yard drive late in the third quarter. Seattle reached the Indianapolis 33 with five minutes to go before Mirer was sacked on fourth down by Tony Siragusa.

"There was a lot of blitzing, which we didn't see them do a lot on the film," Mirer said.

"I guess they were going to keep doing it until we made them pay. They did it pretty well and got to us and made us make mistakes."

Seattle twice reached the Indianapolis 10-yard line in the first half but had to settle for field goals.

After Kasay kicked a 42-yard field goal, the Colts tied the game on the next possession with a 45-yarder by Dean Biasucci. That drive was kept alive when Ronald Humphrey recovered a deflected Indianapolis punt for a first down.

Los Angeles Times Articles