Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollections

Matadors to Wait and See in Shootings Case : College football: Lineman Beauregard, accused of wounding two, might not be disciplined, official says.

October 04, 1994|CHIP JOHNSON and STEVE ELLING | TIMES STAFF WRITERS

A Cal State Northridge administrator said Monday the school might not take action against a football player charged with attempted murder in the shooting of two outside a San Bernardino bar in August.

Jonathan Beauregard, 22, of San Bernardino, was arrested on Aug. 29 a few hours after a shooting at the Arrowhead Elks' bar, authorities said.

Beauregard, a senior and two-year starter at offensive right guard for the Matadors, was taken into custody near his mother's home in San Bernardino, police said.

The victims were identified as Dunyella Darshell Smith, described by authorities as Beauregard's former girlfriend, and Von E. Thompson, a security guard who was sitting in his truck with Smith at the time of the incident, authorities said.

Smith was shot once in the hip as she tried to flee. Thompson was hit once in the arm, and a second shot aimed at his chest was stopped by a bullet-proof vest, authorities said.

Beauregard could not be reached for comment Monday.

Beauregard has not been suspended from the team. School spokesman Barry Smith said Monday that school administrators had not confirmed with police that Beauregard had been arrested, adding that the incident was still "under administrative review."

Ronald Kopita, vice president for student affairs, said that it could be a violation of Beauregard's civil rights to take action against him based only on an accusation, not a conviction.

"The feeling is still that he's been accused and hasn't had his day in court," Athletic Director Bob Hiegert said.

Kopita added that there are standards of "expected behavior" for athletes representing the university, and said he expected to discuss the issue with Bob Burt, the Matadors' head coach.

"All the teams have codes of behavior and I suspect there will be discussion within the football team regarding this individual," Kopita said, never mentioning Beauregard by name. "The team may decide as a group what should take place."

Hiegert said a meeting with Northridge administrators has been scheduled Wednesday to discuss the matter. If Beauregard chooses to remain on the squad, the school might be forced to decide whether he can stay, Hiegert said, adding: "I don't know what we'd do then."

Burt told the team about the arrest before practice Monday. Most of the players were unaware of the incident, he said, although he described himself as in shock. "The guy has been a stand-up member of the program," Burt said, his voice cracking. "He's done all the right things. He was a good student and he was well-liked.

"This has taken us all back a step. We don't know him in this way at all."

Sophomore defensive back James Woods was one of several players who hadn't heard the news about Beauregard until Burt held a brief meeting before practice Monday.

"It was disbelief," Woods said. "Coach Burt sat us down and said he and Beau and the family were going to handle it, and for us to try to move ahead."

Beauregard was originally booked on suspicion of assault with a deadly weapon, but when charges were filed against him on Sept. 2, they included two special circumstances--using a handgun and inflicting great bodily injury--which could add eight years to any prison sentence imposed, said San Bernardino County Deputy District Atty. Denise Trager.

Court documents also contained a notation that read, "ex-girlfriend has been victim of (2) assaults by him in past." There were no descriptions of either alleged incident.

School officials said Beauregard asked for and was given permission to skip practice Monday "to attend to personal matters."

Beauregard, senior class president at San Bernardino's Cajon High in 1989-90, started all four games for the Matadors this season.

Advertisement
Los Angeles Times Articles
|
|
|