Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollections

NEWSWIRE

UNLV Head, Massimino to Meet

October 09, 1994|From Staff and Wire Reports

Nevada Las Vegas basketball Coach Rollie Massimino will meet with Kenny Guinn, the school's interim president, this week to discuss a proposal to buy out the remaining six years of Massimino's contracts.

Massimino has been under fire since the disclosure in August of a supplemental contract, one never approved by the Board of Regents.

The secret contract, signed in April of 1992, called for Massimino to get an extra $375,000 on top of the $511,000 he was being paid.

Guinn has refused to honor the supplemental contract, citing ethical and legal questions surrounding it.

But he would not estimate how much UNLV could afford to spend on buying out Massimino's contract, which could cost as much as $5 million at $886,000 per year.

Massimino so far has declined to say under what conditions he would give up the job.

"I don't know anything about that (buyout)," he said. "Right now, I'm the basketball coach at UNLV, and I intend to honor my contract."

Tennis

Third-seeded Natalia Zvereva of Belarus and fifth-seeded Magdalena Maleeva of Bulgaria advanced to the final of the $750,000 European Indoors tournament in Zurich, Switzerland.

Zvereva beat Dutch qualifier Miriam Oremans, 6-0, 6-2, and Maleeva defeated Helena Sukova of the Czech Republic, 6-2, 7-5.

Germany's Boris Becker and Richard Krajicek of the Netherlands will meet today in the final of the Australian Indoor championship in Sydney.

Becker advanced in the $895,000 tournament by defeating Australia's Mark Woodforde, 7-6 (7-4), 6-1, and Krajicek beat Australian Patrick Rafter, 6-1, 7-6 (7-3).

Pro Basketball

The Milwaukee Bucks appear no closer to signing Glenn Robinson, the top pick in the NBA draft, and have yet to hear a response to their latest offer, believed to be worth about $70 million over 10 years.

Robinson's agent has intimated that Robinson wants to become the first $100-million player in professional sports.

Christopher Cohan, a 25% owner of the Golden State Warriors, reached agreement to purchase the remaining 75% from a partnership of other investors headed by chairman Jim Fitzgerald and team President Dan Finnane. No financial terms were disclosed.

Miscellany

World Cup runner-up Italy escaped with a 2-0 soccer victory over heavy underdog Estonia in qualifying for the 1996 European Championships at Tallinn, Estonia.

Since its loss to Brazil in the World Cup final in July, Italy has been held to a 1-1 draw by Slovenia and managed only two goals Saturday against a team suffering its 11th consecutive international defeat.

The two other qualifying matches Saturday, France vs. Romania and Armenia vs. Cyprus, ended in scoreless draws. It was France's second consecutive scoreless game in the competition.

South Korea's Hwang Young-jo, the 1992 Olympic champion, won the men's marathon at the Asian Games at Hiroshima, Japan, in 2 hours 11 minutes 13 seconds.

Henry Maske of Germany successfully defended his International Boxing Federation light-heavyweight crown by stopping former world champion Iran Barkley in the ninth round of their fight in Halle, Germany.

Defending champion Italy defeated the Netherlands, 15-10, 11-15, 15-11, 15-1, to win the men's World Volleyball Championship in Athens. The United States beat Cuba, 15-6, 14-16, 15-8, 15-9, for third place.

Six candidates have submitted bids to buy the Pittsburgh Pirates, including cable television executive John Rigas and the five sons of the late Art Rooney Sr., founder of the Pittsburgh Steelers.

The U.S. Figure Skating Assn. picked Nashville, Tenn., as the site for the 1997 U.S. Championships and Philadelphia for the year after.

Terry Labonte passed Mark Martin on Lap 148 and went on to win the 200-lap All Pro Auto Parts Bumper-To-Bumper 300 Busch Grand National race in Concord, N.C.

Advertisement
Los Angeles Times Articles
|
|
|