Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollections

Schools Plan to Drop Their Prop. 187 Suit

November 16, 1994|Associated Press

SAN JOSE — Four San Jose school districts that went to court to block Proposition 187 plan to drop their lawsuit because other legal challenges have temporarily barred enforcement of the measure.

"There is no need for us to expend any dollars or legal fees to pursue this," said Joe Coto, superintendent of the East Side Union High School District.

The San Jose Unified School District and the Alum Rock and Franklin-McKinley elementary and intermediate districts also took part in the suit, filed last week in federal court in San Jose.

School districts in Los Angeles and elsewhere won a temporary restraining order last week in San Francisco that blocks enforcement of the measure's ban on public education for illegal immigrants.

Backers of Proposition 187 argued that public money was being used to thwart the will of the voters. The San Jose Unified School District said it received at least 75 calls complaining about its suit.

Advertisement
Los Angeles Times Articles
|
|
|