YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollections



SANTA ANA — Brea-Olinda's hard-hitting defense set the tone in a 30-6 victory over Century on Friday at Santa Ana Stadium.

In the second half, the Wildcats (8-2-1) held Century to eight yards rushing and forced four turnovers in the game to win a first-round Southern Section Division V playoff game.

Brea-Olinda advanced to play top-seeded Newport Harbor, a 28-14 winner over Saddleback, in the quarterfinals next week.

"I knew our kids would bounce back after that tough loss to Valencia last week," Brea-Olinda Coach Jon Looney said. "Defensively, they couldn't run against us and then we got some good pressure on them in the second half."

Ryan Jones had two of the Wildcats' four sacks, and the pressure helped create three interceptions. Brea-Olinda's defense hounded and pounded the Centurions (6-5) all night. Five Centurions were helped off the field in the second half.

Johnny Mendez, a 5-foot-10, 150-pound sophomore, was the most severely injured Century player. After the first play from scrimmage in the second half, he collapsed on the sideline.

The game was delayed 30 minutes while team doctors and paramedics tended to Mendez. He was taken by ambulance to Western Medical Center in Santa Ana, where he is listed in serious but stable condition, a hospital spokesman said.

"He was unconscious for a brief period," said Dr. Scott Fischer, an orthopedic surgeon who serves as Century's team doctor. "They're going to examine him to see if there is any other injury besides a concussion."

Century's lone highlight came in the third quarter, shortly after Mendez was taken to the hospital. Stan Villanueva completed a 45-yard touchdown pass to Jorge Rodriguez to cap a nine-play, 76-yard drive, cutting the lead to 17-6.

Brea-Olinda used big plays to set up its three first-half scores.

Jacob Freeze, who caught four passes for 115 yards and a touchdown, caught a 39-yard pass from Matt Kalcevich to help set up a nine-yard touchdown run in the first quarter by Jerome Owens.

A 30-yard run by Owens helped set up a 25-yard field goal by Tommy Prenovost, making the score 10-0 with 3 minutes 57 seconds remaining in the half.

Freeze caught a 30-yard touchdown pass from Prenovost with 22 seconds left in the half to make the score 17-0.

Brea-Olinda put the game out of reach early in the fourth quarter.

Dusty Coffey intercepted a pass at the Century 35 and returned it to the two. Two plays later, Owens, who rushed for 47 yards in 14 carries, scored a touchdown on a one-yard run.

On Century's next possession, Erik Taylor intercepted a pass and returned it 75 yards for the final touchdown.

Los Angeles Times Articles