T.J. Rubley, who finished last season as the Rams' starting quarterback, was released Tuesday because he recently rejected a contract offer to play for the Rams next season.
"They offered a deal three weeks ago and we elected not to take it," Rubley said. "They were disappointed, and I anticipated this might happen.
"I just want the chance to see the field, and I don't believe I fit in their plans. I could have signed the contract, but a contract doesn't mean anything until the first week of the regular season, and I'd rather start fresh now than be released the last week of training camp."
Rubley started seven games a year ago, including a 20-6 season-ending victory over the Bears. But when the Rams signed him to a one-year deal last summer, they made it clear they were more interested in Chris Miller and Chris Chandler.
"The only disappointment in this whole thing is trying to be someone's quarterback and living up to what they expect and then turning around and seeing them pay someone else three and four times as much to play the position," Rubley said. "That devastated me."
An elbow injury, which he kept secret for several months, further handicapped Rubley's standing and finally sent him onto the injured-reserve list for the year.
Rubley completed 108 of 189 passes (57.1%) for 1,338 yards with eight touchdowns and six interceptions last season.
The Rams also released guard Brad Fichtel to make room for the expected addition of wide receiver Jermaine Ross later this week. If Fichtel clears waivers, the Rams intend to add him to their practice squad.