No matter where you live in the San Gabriel Valley, there is probably a charitable drive nearby that offers the opportunity to share with others this holiday season. Here are some of the groups and their projects:
* Ornaments purchased for $1 each and hung on a community tree at the Puente Hills Mall will raise funds for the sheriff's Camp COURAGE anti-gang program and the Industry Sheriff's Explorers; Azusa Avenue exit of the Pomona (60) Freeway, City of Industry; (818) 965-5875.
* New, unwrapped toys donated by this Friday will be distributed to needy children in the annual Toys for Tots program sponsored by the Marine Corps Reserve; one collection point is the South Pasadena Police Department, 1422 Mission St.; for other locations, call (818) 799-9891.
* Discount holiday gifts are on sale at the San Gabriel Valley YWCA Thrift Shop, 407 N. Vincent Ave., Covina; 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Tuesdays through Saturdays and until 8 p.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays; (818) 338-8622.
* Donations and volunteers are needed to help assemble and distribute food and gift packages for 600 area families; Westminster Presbyterian Church, 1757 N. Lake Ave., Pasadena; (818) 797-6072.
* Non-perishable food donations are being collected by Love Is Feeding Everyone; Winter Wonderland at One Colorado, Old Pasadena; (818) 564-1066.
* A charity toy drive is being conducted at all United Artists Theaters, including Pasadena Marketplace Theater, Colorado Boulevard at Delacey Street; (818) 795-3923.
* Soroptimist International of Puente Hills is seeking contributions for holiday food baskets; (818) 966-0057.
* The Monrovia Unity Center and the Monrovia "We Care" foundation will distribute donated gifts and non-perishable food to the needy; Monrovia Community Center, 119 W. Palm Ave.; for other locations, call (818) 357-5046.
* People for People will distribute canned goods and toys donated by Rosemead residents; Rosemead Community Center, 3936 N. Muscatel Ave.; for other locations, call City Hall (818) 288-6671.
* Local youth soccer teams will benefit from a silent auction of decorated live Christmas trees; bidding closes Dec. 16; South Lake Avenue and Del Mar Boulevard, Pasadena; (818) 792-1259.
* Monetary contributions are being sought by the El Monte-South El Monte Emergency Resources Assn., which expects to distribute food to more than 700 area families; 2645 Lee Ave., Unit 6, South El Monte; (818) 444-7269.
* Gifts for youngsters at the McKinley Home for Boys in San Dimas will be collected at community trees in various locations, including Payless Drug Stores and Mrs. Nelson's Toy and Book Shop, 1030 Bonita Ave., La Verne; (909) 599-4558.
* Needy Azusa senior citizens will benefit from holiday food basket donations by Friday; Azusa Senior Center, 740 N. Dalton Ave.; (818) 969-7176.
* More than 150 Pasadena Jaycee volunteers will distribute gifts and toys to almost 5,000 needy children in Pasadena, South Pasadena, San Marino, Altadena, Arcadia, Monrovia and Sierra Madre; contributions are accepted by Operation Santa, 117 E. Colorado Blvd., Suite 100, Pasadena; (818) 355-9162.
* Monrovia firefighters seek donations of unwrapped gifts for the city's charitable Christmas gift program. Toys can be dropped at the station, 141 E. Lemon Ave., from now until next Wednesday. The fire station was decorated by the firefighters as a reminder of the gift program.
* For a second year, sheriff's deputies from the San Dimas station will be participating in the DASH program, Deputies as Santa's Helpers. Deputies will sort through letters mailed in San Dimas to Santa Claus and find needy children who otherwise would not receive Christmas toys. On Christmas Day, deputies will deliver the gifts. To donate, contact the San Dimas sheriffs' station, 122 N. San Dimas Ave. or call Deputy Ella Cooks at (909) 599-1261.