Capsules of each driver in the starting lineup for today's $3.1 million Daytona 500, with car number in parentheses, name, age, residence, make of car and biographical information:
1. (28) Dale Jarrett, 38, Hickory, N.C., Ford Thunderbird. Replaces injured Ernie Irvan for Robert Yates team. . . . 1993 Daytona 500 winner is making sixth 500 start. . . . Took pole with a speed of 193.494 mph, his first career Winston Cup pole. . . . Has three wins in 228 starts, including 1994 Mello Yello 500 at Charlotte. . . . Son of two-time Winston Cup champion and Hall of Famer Ned Jarrett.
2. (3) Dale Earnhardt, 43, Doolie, N.C., Chevrolet Monte Carlo. Tied Richard Petty's record with his seventh Winston Cup champion in 1994. . . . Has 63 victories in 480 career Winston Cup starts, including four in 1994. . . . Has won 25 events at Daytona Speedway, including 1995 Busch Clash, but has never won the Daytona 500. . . . Best finish in 16 Daytona 500 starts is second in 1984 and 1993, but has 11 top-10 and eight top-five finishes. . . . Starting on outside of front row for second consecutive year. . . . 1979 Winston Cup Rookie of the Year. . . . Has won a motor sports record $22,914,304.
3. (4) Sterling Marlin, 37, Spring Hill, Tenn., Chevrolet Monte Carlo. Won 1994 Daytona 500 for only Winston Cup victory in 309 starts, but has 40 top-five finishes. . . . Won 1995 Gatorade-125 Qualifier race. . . . Won Winston Open in 1988, 1989 and 1993. . . . 1983 Winston Cup Rookie of the Year. . . . Son of former Winston Cup driver Clifton "CooCoo" Marlin.
4. (24) Jeff Gordon, 23, Huntersville, N.C., Chevrolet Monte Carlo. Gained first two Winston Cup wins in 1994 by winning the inaugural Brickyard 400 at Indianapolis and the Coca-Cola 600. . . . 1993 Winston Cup Rookie of the Year. . . . Finished in top-five in both Daytona 500 starts and won 1994 Busch Clash. . . . Won three Busch Grand National races in 1992 and a series-record 11 poles. . . . In just 65 starts, has won $2,570,976.
5. (17) Darrell Waltrip, 48, Franklin, Tenn., Chevrolet Monte Carlo. Three-time Winston Cup Champion, last coming in 1985. . . . Making 23rd Daytona 500 start with only win coming in 1989--his 17th attempt. . . . 84 wins in 627 starts, but none since Pocono in 1992. . . . Finished ninth in 1994 points, the 18th year he has finished in the top-10. . . . Has earned $13,607,559.
6. (6) Mark Martin, 36, Jamestown, N.C., Ford Thunderbird. Finished second in 1994 Winston Cup points for second time (1990). . . . Has 14 wins in 263 starts, including 1994 wins at Atlanta and Watkins Glen. . . . Tied a record with four consecutive wins in 1993. . . . 1994 IROC Champion. . . . Making 10th Daytona 500 start, best finish was sixth in 1993.
7. (2) Rusty Wallace, 38, Concord, N.C., Ford Thunderbird. 1989 Winston Cup Champion. . . . Has 39 wins in 331 starts, including a series best eight wins in 1994. . . . Best Daytona 500 finish is seventh. . . . 1984 Rookie of the Year. . . . Has won $11,156,883, fourth all-time.
8. (75) Todd Bodine, 30, Charlotte, N.C., Ford Thunderbird. Younger brother of Brett and Geoff Bodine. . . . Best finish in 41 Winston Cup starts is third in 1994 Hooters 500. . . . Finished 36th in first Daytona 500 last year. . . . Scored seven wins in three seasons on Busch Grand National circuit. . . . Second full year driving for Mock Motorsports.
9. (25) Ken Schrader, 39, Concord, N.C., Chevrolet Monte Carlo. Four wins in 297 Winston Cup starts, with last coming in 1991 at Dover. . . . 1989 and 1990 Busch Clash winner. . . . Won Daytona 500 pole in 1988, 1989 and 1990, abnd finished second in 1989. . . . Making 11th Daytona 500 start. . . . 1985 Winston Cup Rookie of the year.
10. (94) Bill Elliott, 39, Dawsonville, Ga., Ford Thunderbird. 1988 Winston Cup Champion. . . . In 438 starts, has 40 wins, including 1985 and 1987 Daytona 500s. . . . Set Daytona International Speedway qualifying record with 210.364 mph in 1987 and all-time stock car qualifying record of 212.809 at Talladega in 1987. . . . In 1985, won a record 11 superspeedway races and became only driver to capture the Winston Million. . . . Moves from Junior Johnson team to Hardy Boys team as co-owner and driver, and rejoins brothers Ernie and Dan Elliott. . . . Has earned $14,558,563, second only to Earnhardt.
11. (5) Terry Labonte, 38, Thomasville, N.C., Chevrolet Monte Carlo. 1984 Winston Cup Champion. . . . Thirteen wins in 480 starts, including career-best three in 1994--his first wins since 1989. . . . Second year with car owner Rick Hendrick. . . . Best Daytona 500 finish in 16 starts is second in 1986 and 1989. . . . Has won $8,921,096, fifth best all-time.
12. (16) Ted Musgrave, 39, Troutman, N.C., Ford Thunderbird. Second year with Jack Roush team. . . . 122 Winston Cup starts with four fifth-place finishes. . . . Making fourth Daytona 500 start, finished eighth in 1992. . . . 1987 ASA Rookie of the Year.