Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollections

Community News

Plans to Streamline Operations Go Forward

March 09, 1995

Harbor commissioners are moving ahead with plans to streamline port operations and cut staff at the Harbor Department by up to 35%.

At a meeting earlier this month, the commission approved four phases of action that will be carried out by consultants Booz-Allen & Hamilton Inc. by July 1.

The port recorded a $92-million net income last year, but needs to organize its operations and staff for the future, spokeswoman Julia Nagano said.

"Like Mattel, like IBM . . . it's better for us to look now at where we want to be down the road," she said.

Port officials aim to save the Harbor Department $10 million a year.

"Admittedly, people are concerned," she said. "We have a very, very talented staff and they've worked and been very much a part of the success the port has had . . . but I think they understand what the goals are."

Specific staff reductions will be known by July, Nagano said.

Advertisement
Los Angeles Times Articles
|
|
|