Work crews will resume collection of earthquake-related debris and rubble placed on curbs and in street gutters on a limited, emergency-only basis, said San Fernando Public Works Director Mike Drake.
Work crews stopped picking up rubble--ranging from broken brick and cinder-block to cracked commodes and other household hardware damaged in the Northridge earthquake--in January, when federal funds dried up.
Since then, city officials have waited for word from the Federal Emergency Management Agency about an extension of funds to continue the removal.
"FEMA told us on Monday that we could do a very limited pickup, only in situations that present some hazard," Drake said.
"That is the whole intent of FEMA quake assistance, but it's been abused," he said, adding that many households and contractors have continued to put bulky, broken construction materials in the street for pickup.
"If there is an emergency and the city can assist in removing something, then we'll do that," Drake said. "Otherwise, they should take care of it themselves. If a person has hired a contractor to fix their house, the contractor should do the hauling."
A member of the city's public works crew, who refused to be identified, said watching piles of trash and construction materials grow larger in the avenues and byways of the well-kept town has had a demoralizing effect on some.
"The streets are a mess," he said. "But we couldn't pick anything up until we've got the money. It's kind of frustrating.'