PALM SPRINGS — It is quintessential Palm Springs of the era.
In the 28 years since Elvis Presley brought his blushing bride, Priscilla, to what has become unofficially known as "The Honeymoon Hideaway"--a coral-colored stucco mini-manse where the newlyweds lived in the year following their marriage--the house has had only a few other occupants and few visitors. It has been primarily a private residence.
For the Record
Los Angeles Times Sunday April 9, 1995 Home Edition Travel Part L Page 6 Travel Desk 1 inches; 26 words Type of Material: Correction
Elvis Presley's home--Due to an editing error in an April 2 story on Palm Springs, the location of Presley's Graceland mansion was incorrectly given as Nashville. It is in Memphis, Tenn.
But as part of the city's SunFest '95 celebration, the home at 1350 Ladera Circle will be open to the public 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., April 7-9, and again April 14-16. There will be an admission fee of $7 for adults and $4 for children 10 and under.
Built over three lots in the neighborhood of Las Palmas, the grounds include a swimming pool and tennis court and a waterfall that cascades down the front steps. But don't come expecting Graceland, Presley's showplace primary residence in Nashville, Tenn. The Palm Springs home is a scant 5,000 square feet or so, though it is feathered throughout with love-nest accouterments: a whirlpool bath, a replica of the bridal bed and, in the sunken living room, a circular fireplace. As part of the package there are also the obligatory '60s-era olive green throw pillows and bean bag chairs; and a list of his favorite things, including after shave (Old Spice) and foods (fried peanut butter and banana sandwiches).
In 1967, after the May 1 Las Vegas marriage united Presley and the former Priscilla Beaulieu, a beautiful teen-ager he met while serving with the U.S. Army, the couple took up residence in their honeymoon digs, which Elvis had leased for one year for $21,000. His manager, Tom Parker, lived nearby, as did many other entertainment industry moguls.
A Boston investment group bought the house in 1987 and intends to maintain it as a museum. In past years, they have opened the house by appointment only, although it has been featured in several films. And beginning in June, it will be open on a monthly basis. For information, call (619) 322-1192.