A Norwalk Superior Court judge has ruled that Los Angeles County must pay $3.7 million in attorneys fees--in addition to a previously ordered $7.3 million in damages--in the case of four adults who were falsely accused of child molestation 11 years ago.
A lawyer for the plaintiffs said Thursday that the sizable judgment was fair, considering that the legal work spanned a decade and included two trials and an appellate court hearing. It will be divided among five attorneys who worked on the case.
"I thought it was very fair considering they had put us through every obstacle, every conceivable hurdle," said Eduardo M. Madrid, who represented one of the plaintiffs, Jose Valentin.
Assistant County Counsel Robert Ambrose said the judgment, handed down Wednesday, was excessive and would be appealed if a settlement on a lesser amount was not reached.