A variety of events to celebrate Independence Day are planned for today. Among the offerings:
* A Fourth of July celebration will begin at 9 a.m. at Forest Lawn Memorial-Park, 6300 Forest Lawn Drive, Hollywood Hills. The event will feature the Southern California Mormon Choir, the Primary Children's Chorus and the Glendale Center Theater Players. Admission is free. Information: (818) 984-1711.
* A Musical and Fireworks Extravaganza is planned from 10 a.m. to 9:30 p.m. at the Hansen Dam Sports Center Amphitheater in Lake View Terrace. Symphony on the Glen will perform at 7 p.m., followed by the fireworks show. Parking entrance is at 11770 Foothill Blvd. Alcoholic beverages will not be admitted. Admission is free. Information: (818) 756-9115.
* A Fourth of July parade sponsored by the Rotary Club of Sunland-Tujunga will start at 10 a.m. at Mt. Gleason Avenue and Summitrose Street in Sunland, ending at Sunland Park, where a festival including an antiques and equestrian show will be held until 5 p.m. Admission is free. Information: (818) 352-4433.
* Another parade will begin at 10 a.m. at Walnut and Market streets in Newhall, followed by a Stars and Stripes Festival and Arts and Crafts Fair from noon to 4 p.m. at Newhall Park, 24933 Newhall Ave. Admission is free. Information: (805) 255-4910.
* The Westlake Junior Women's Club will sponsor a parade starting at 10 a.m. Participants should assemble in the Westlake Medical Center parking lot on Lakeview Canyon Road at 9:45 a.m. Information: (818) 706-1339.
* The city of Calabasas will host its third annual Fourth of July Spectacular Splash Party featuring swimming, live entertainment and games from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. at the Calabasas Tennis & Swim Center, 23400 Park Sorrento. Admission is free. Information: (818) 222-2782.
* The Family Festival of Fun & Fireworks will begin at noon at Crescenta Valley High School, 4400 Ramsdell Ave., La Crescenta. The fireworks show starts at 9:15 p.m. Alcoholic beverages will not be admitted. General admission is $6 per person, with children under 5 admitted free. Information: (818) 248-4957.
* Dan Crow & the Thunderwear Band will perform at 1:30 p.m. at Chumash Park, 5550 Medea Valley Drive, Agoura Hills. Other activities include games, rides and food. Parking is available at Agoura High School, 28545 W. Driver Avenue. Admission is free. Information: (818) 597-7361.
* A Fourth of July Fireworks Spectacular is planned at the Cal State Northridge North Campus, Devonshire Street and Zelzah Avenue. Rides and games begin at 2 p.m., with entertainment beginning at 4 p.m. and fireworks at 9 p.m. Alcoholic beverages will not be admitted. Admission is $8 for adults and $5 for children under 12. On-site parking is $3 per vehicle. Information: (818) 349-5676.
* An Independence Day celebration with music, entertainment and food starts at 2 p.m. at Recreation Park, 208 Park Ave., San Fernando. A fireworks show is scheduled for dusk. Admission is free. Information: (818) 898-1290.
* A Fireworks Extravaganza will be held at the Pierce College stadium, 6201 Winnetka Ave., Woodland Hills. Doors open at 4 p.m., with live entertainment beginning at 5:30 p.m. and fireworks at 8:55 p.m. Alcoholic beverages will not be admitted. Admission is $12 for adults and $9 for children and senior citizens. Parking is $5 per vehicle. Information: (818) 703-7859.
* The city of Lancaster's annual Fourth of July celebration will be held at the Antelope Valley Fairgrounds, 155 Ave. I, Lancaster. Gates open at 4 p.m., with live entertainment at 5 p.m. and fireworks at 9 p.m. Alcoholic beverages will not be admitted. Admission is free. Information: (805) 948-6060.
* Aid Assn. for Lutherans Branch 5049 will sponsor an old-fashioned Fourth of July picnic beginning at 4 p.m. at Church of the Master, 13424 Glenoaks Blvd., Sylmar. Food will be provided; a free-will offering will be taken. Information: (818) 367-2636.
* The Bill Elliott Swing Orchestra with the Lucky Stars Vocal Quartet and vocalist Amy Weston will perform at the city of Burbank's July 4 Celebration at the Starlight Bowl, 1249 Lockheed View Drive, Burbank. Gates open at 6 p.m., with the fireworks show at 9:15 p.m. Reserved seats are $7 and $10; box seats are $20; senior citizens, children 12 and under and wheelchair seating is $5, and general admission lawn seating is $5 per person. Information: (818) 953-9572.
* A Music Americana Show and Fireworks Spectacular will be presented at Palmdale High School's Riewer Field on 20th Street East, just south of Palmdale Boulevard. Gates open at 6:30 p.m., with the show beginning at 7:30 p.m. followed by fireworks at 9:10 p.m. Alcoholic beverages will not be admitted. Admission is free. Information: (805) 267-5611.