Edward T. Howard has joined the University Advisory Board at Cal State Fullerton for a four-year term. Howard is president of J.C. Penney Co. Inc.'s Southwestern region.
* Donna Barlet has been named account executive for Morrison, Lee & Stevens, an Irvine advertising and public relations agency. She was previously marketing coordinator at Century 21 Real Estate Corp. in Irvine.
* Bernice K. Hird and Joe W. Dobbs have been elected to the board of trustees of the Southern California College of Optometry in Fullerton. Hird, who retired as community relations manager for Hunt-Wesson in 1988, is currently a consultant to nonprofit and for-profit organizations. Dobbs is in private optometric practice in Santa Barbara.
* Steven Dong has been appointed chief financial officer of Nona Morelli's II, an Irvine leisure and entertainment holding company. He succeeds Kenneth O'Neal, who resigned to pursue personal interests. Prior to joining Nona Morelli's, Dong had been with the accounting firm of Coopers & Lybrand since 1988.
* Gary Slayton has been named Western regional sales manager for Asics Tiger Corp., a Fountain Valley shoe company. He has been with the company for 10 years, most recently managing the running product marketing category. Dan Markovitz, a three-year veteran of the company, has been appointed product marketing manager, running, track & field. In addition, Tom Garza has been selected sales promotions manager. He was previously with Asics' key account division.
* Buckner & Young and Douglas D. Alani have merged their law practices. The new firm, in Costa Mesa, will operate under the name Buckner, Alani & Young.
* Dan Boyd has been named executive vice president and chief operating officer of Boyle Engineering Corp. in Newport Beach. Boyd, a 25-year employee of Boyle, will work with Tom Maddock, president and chief executive, and succeed him after an 18- to 24-month transition period. Boyd moves from the Denver office where he was a regional vice president.
* Pamela J. Beard has joined RiechesBaird, a Huntington Beach advertising, marketing and public relations agency, as media director and account executive. She was formerly the marketing director for divisions of the William Lyon Co. in Newport Beach and Del E. Webb in Phoenix. Beard also spent five years with a Minneapolis advertising agency and three years with NBC News.