Advertisement

Official Business

Program to Curb Illegal Quake Debris Dumping Is Scaled Back

August 19, 1995

The Los Angeles City Council, which was poised to approve a multimillion-dollar plan to tackle the illegal dumping of earthquake debris, dramatically scaled back the program Friday when it learned the problem is far less serious than previously believed.

Officials had estimated that more than 100,000 tons of debris was piled on city streets when a federally funded cleanup program ended last month. But in fact, about 7,500 tons exists citywide, J.P. Ellman, president of the Board of Public Works, told council members.

The council, which was expected to approve a nearly $3.5-million plan to clear away debris and prevent further dumping, quickly adjusted the proposal and approved a $800,000 plan.

Ellman said street maintenance officials on Thursday conducted the latest review of debris left from the January, 1994, Northridge temblor.

She said it appeared that property owners are paying attention to the fact that the federal cleanup program is finished and that it is their responsibility to clear their debris. About 80% of all debris is being removed by property owners, while about 20% of the debris is probably being dumped illegally and will be left for the city to pick up, she said.

Advertisement
Los Angeles Times Articles
|
|
|