Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollections

EAST VENTURA COUNTY FOCUS

THOUSAND OAKS : TV Actor Mitchell Sentenced in Assault

September 23, 1995|STEPHANIE BROMMER

Television star Sasha Mitchell was sentenced Friday to three years of probation, counseling, a $2,000 fine and 10 days of work release for assaulting his pregnant wife in their Thousand Oaks home this spring.

Mitchell, who had pleaded no contest to three misdemeanor charges earlier this month, was not in Ventura court because of the filming of his sitcom, "Step by Step."

Mitchell, who did appear in Ventura early Friday for a probation review, is required to attend 52 counseling sessions and pay $1,000 to the state's victim restitution fund and $1,000 to the Ventura County's Coalition Against Domestic and Sexual Violence, which operates a shelter for battered women and offers counseling for battered spouses and batterers.

The 28-year-old actor was credited for one day of jail time and, in lieu of 10 days of jail time, will spend 10 days in a supervised work release program, probably picking up trash along roadways.

The professional kick boxer was accused of hitting and kicking his pregnant wife, 25-year-old Jeanette Mitchell, on two occasions in April.

He was also convicted of child endangerment because the couple's 7-year-old daughter watched one assault, prosecutors said.

The no-contest plea in Ventura County criminal court is equivalent to admitting guilt, but the plea cannot be used against a defendant facing civil litigation.

Mitchell's attorney, David Dudley, said Friday that Mitchell disputes the allegations but pleaded no contest to avoid a trial where his family would be called to the witness stand.

"The only reason why he pleaded no contest was for the good of his family . . . and not to do any jail time and preserve family harmony," Dudley said. "We are denying the specific allegations, but we're not saying there haven't been problems between Jeanette and Sasha. I think the counseling sessions might very well help."

Dudley said the couple were "as lovey-dovey as I've ever seen them" when they visited his Los Angeles office earlier this week.

Deputy Dist. Atty. John Colombo said he was pleased with the sentence but added, "I certainly hope [Jeanette Mitchell's] not in danger."

Advertisement
Los Angeles Times Articles
|
|
|