BURBANK — A 50-year-old woman offered a 17-year-old Burbank High School football player money for his team's athletic program in return for sex, according to allegations in court documents.
Salle Dumm, president of the Burbank Educational Foundation, a nonprofit group that raises funds for the Burbank Unified School District, has pleaded not guilty to two felony charges in the case: unlawful sex with a minor and contributing to the delinquency of a minor.
According to allegations contained in the criminal file of the case, Dumm had sex with the youth on July 14 and afterward promised him more money if he would return to her bed the following evening.
Dumm also asked a tutor to "destroy" evidence relating to the crime in a telephone call overheard by police during their investigation, according to the file in Burbank Municipal Court.
The revelations are contained in a sworn statement dated Nov. 17 by W. H. Taylor, a juvenile detective for the Burbank Police Department who investigated the case.
The Dumm case is one of two alleged scandals disclosed in the last month that touch on the Burbank High School football program.
In the other incident, school board President Joseph Hooven may have exercised "undue influence," along with others, to induce several football players to transfer to Burbank High School, according to a 60-page report by the district and the California Interscholastic Federation Southern Section, which polices school athletics.
Citing a school board member is "unusual" in high school cases, according to Margaret Davis, assistant executive director of the federation. She said Monday that she could not recall a similar instance.
Meanwhile, two school board members called Monday for an investigation of the alleged recruiting violations and the Dumm case.
Board members Mike McDonald and Denise Lioy Wilcox said they will push to form a special committee of two board members and the board's attorney to look into the scandals.
"The special committee will investigate the misconduct of board President Joe Hooven listed in the CIF report and investigate if that misconduct may extend into his involvement in the Salle Dumm case," Wilcox said in an interview.
Hooven has denied any knowledge of or involvement in the Dumm case, and his lawyer, Vince Stefano, a former Burbank city councilman, said he had no comment.
Burbank Police Lt. Larry Koch said police were not notified about the incident until Nov. 17, 3 1/2 months after it allegedly occurred.
According to the court file in the Dumm case, Ann Cocreham, a school district Pupil Services director, reported the incident to Burbank police and asked authorities to attend a Nov. 17 meeting at the district office.
Present were Supt. David Aponik, Assistant Supt. Greg Bowman, Cocreham, former Burbank football coach John Hazelton and a tutor.
Cocreham told police that Hazelton and the tutor reported the incident to the district.
The police questioned Hazelton, who had previously resigned as coach. The CIF investigation also concluded that Hazelton may also have committed football recruiting violations.
Dumm's preliminary hearing is scheduled for Jan. 4. She faces a maximum sentence of four years if convicted of the charges, according to Koch.
Dumm would not comment on the case and referred questions to her attorney, Jack Boyle, who did not return phone calls from The Times.
Koch said that witnesses in the case have been receiving threatening phone calls that were "aimed at them not coming into court." Koch said those phone calls are being investigated.
DeSantis is a Times staff writer and Esper is a correspondent.