The Fourth of July will be celebrated with fireworks, carnivals, family picnics and live music in the San Fernando and Santa Clarita valleys this week. Tickets to most events can be purchased early and are recommended. Activities include:
* A special meal and festivities for seniors 60 and older, sponsored by the San Fernando Valley Interfaith Council, will take place at 11 a.m. Wednesday at Sylmar Recreation Center, 13109 Borden Ave. The price is $1.50. Information: (818) 362-9175.
* Storyteller and mime Ruben Gerard will present Fourth of July-themed American Tall Tales for children of all ages at 3 p.m. Wednesday at the San Fernando Public Library, 1050 Library St. Information: (818) 365-4853.
* The 22nd annual July Fourth Family Entertainment and Fireworks Show, sponsored by the Woodland Hills Chamber of Commerce and featuring games, rides and music, will begin at 1 p.m. Thursday at Pierce College, 6201 Winnetka Ave., Woodland Hills. The fireworks display begins at 9 p.m. Tickets are $10 general, $5 for seniors and children 12 and younger. Parking is $5. Information: (818) 703-7859.
* The 32nd annual Frontier Days Celebration, a four-day event sponsored by the Santa Clarita Valley Chamber of Commerce, will include a fireworks show, live entertainment and carnival from noon to midnight Thursday and Friday, 11 a.m. to midnight Saturday and 11 a.m. to 8 p.m. Sunday at Soledad Canyon and Golden Triangle Roads, Santa Clarita. The fireworks show will begin at 9 p.m. Thursday. Tickets are $5 general, $3 for seniors and children 6 to 12 daily. Information: (805) 259-8628.
* Cal State Northridge will host America's Best Fireworks Spectacular, featuring rides, game booths, a skydiver show and other live entertainment, beginning at 2 p.m. Thursday at CSUN's North Campus, Devonshire Street and Zelzah Avenue. The fireworks show will begin at 9 p.m. Admission is $8 general, $5 for seniors and children 5 to 11. Information: (818) 341-7058.
* The city of Burbank will hold Fourth of July festivities with fireworks and live entertainment featuring the Bill Elliot Swing Orchestra beginning at 6 p.m. at the Starlight Bowl, 1249 Lockheed View Drive. Admission is $7 to $10 for reserved seats, $5 for seniors and children 12 and younger and $5 for general admission lawn seats. Parking is $2. (818) 238-5300.
* A free fireworks show will be presented by San Fernando Recreation and Community Services at 8 p.m. Thursday at San Fernando Recreation Park, 208 Park Ave. Live entertainment and games will begin at 2 p.m. (818) 898-1290.
* Symphony in the Glen will present a free concert, featuring music by George Gershwin and Glenn Gould, and a fireworks show beginning at 7 p.m. Thursday at Hansen Dam, 11700 Foothill Blvd., Lake View Terrace. Parking is $3. Information: (213) 955-6976.
* The third annual Fourth of July Community Flag-Raising Ceremony, sponsored by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, will be presented from 8 to 8:30 a.m. Thursday at Eternal Valley Memorial Park, 23287 Sierra Highway, Santa Clarita. Information: (805) 259-0800.
* The Horace Heidt Orchestra will perform music in honor of Independence Day at 8 p.m. Saturday at Horace Heidt Magnolia Estates, 14155 Magnolia Blvd., Sherman Oaks. The price is $25 and includes dinner at 7 p.m. Reservations are required by Wednesday. (818) 784-8211.