To promote local artists and art organizations, the Los Angeles Cultural Affairs Department is offering grants for the upcoming year.
Applications for the Cultural Grants Program are available at all branches of the Los Angeles Public Library, the district offices of Los Angeles City Council members and at Cultural Affairs Department facilities.
Although the budget for the program has not yet been established, department spokeswoman Sandra Rivkin said grant-seekers typically receive $1,500 to $100,000.
The department has set up free workshops to teach people how to prepare a grant application. For information, call (213) 620-8635. Workshops in Central and South Los Angeles include:
* Tuesday--Self-Help Graphics, 3802 Cesar E. Chavez Ave., East Los Angeles, 6 to 8 p.m.
* Wednesday--Cypress Park Library, 3320 Pepper Ave., 6 to 7:45 p.m.
* July 15--Eagle Rock Library, 5027 Casper Ave., Eagle Rock, 6 to 7:45 p.m.
* July 24--Councilman Mark Ridley-Thomas' field office, 8475 S. Vermont Ave., 6 to 8 p.m.
* July 30--Baldwin Hills Library, 2906 S. La Brea Ave., 6 to 7:45 p.m.
* Aug. 1--Slauson Recreation Center, 5306 S. Compton Ave., 6 to 8 p.m.
* Aug. 3--Watts Towers Arts Center, 1727 E. 107th St., 4 to 6 p.m.
* Aug. 10--Barnsdall Art Park Gallery Theater, 4800 Hollywood Blvd., 10 a.m. to noon.