Here is a sampling of city community gardens in Orange County that are open to people of all ages. There are also a number of private community gardens in the area.
For more information, contact your city's community services department or parks and recreation department.
* Buena Park. Knott Avenue and Thelma Street, (714) 652-3844. Plots: 165 15-by-20-foot or 30-by-20-foot. Cost per year: $20 and $40. Registration for new gardeners begins Sept. 16, on a first-come, first-served basis. Founded: 1976.
* Costa Mesa. 170 Del Mar, (714) 754-5300. Plots: 40 15-by-15-foot. Cost per year: $5. Approximate wait: Six months to a year. Founded: 1995.
* Huntington Beach. Golden West College, 15744 Golden West St., (714) 891-3991. Plots: 77 10-by-20-foot. Cost per year: $48. Registration for 1997 begins in January on a first-come, first-served basis. No city residency requirement. Founded: 1983.
* Orange. 254 N. Main, (714) 744-7292. Plots: 51 10-foot-by-10-foot. Cost per year: $36. Minimum wait: Seven months. Founded: 1978.
* San Juan Capistrano. 25925 Camino Del Avion, (714) 493-5911. Plots: 77 of various sizes. Cost per year: To be determined when registration begins in October.
* Seal Beach. Edison Park, 99 College Drive (310) 431-2527, Ext. 227. Plots: 125 12-by-12-foot. Cost per year: $15. Approximate wait time: 1 1/2 years. Founded: 1978.