Tired of spending $60 for a movie with your family and another $20 at the concession? Remember when we would sit at home and play a classic board game that appealed to the "can't stop playing" mind-set? Yahtzee is celebrating its 40th anniversary with a collectors' edition that features a leather-like throwing tray, five customized red and black dice, an anniversary edition score pad and 10 engraved anniversary tokens. Retail: $15. For one or more players, ages 8 and up.
* Assemblyman Antonio R. Villaraigosa (D-Mount Washington) will host the Highland Park Family Reading FunFair on Saturday from 11 a.m.-2:30 p.m. at the Arroyo Seco Regional Library and Highland Park Recreation Center in Highland Park. This event, geared toward children 5 to 9, focuses on bringing kids and parents together in a celebration of reading. There will be sessions to teach parents about reading fundamentals, workshops, and arts and crafts exhibits. Among the sponsors are Highland Park Recreation Center, the Arroyo Seco Regional Library, KCET, Centro de Ninos, Scholastic Inc., Reading Is Fundamental and Hathaway Family and Children Services. The library is at 6145 N. Figueroa St.; the Recreational Center is nearby at 6150 Piedmont Ave. Info: (213) 255-7079.
* Using storytelling, "Granny Annie" gets children 3 to 8 excited about starting school during a "Back-to-School Storytime" at Pages, Books for Children & Young Adults, 18399 Ventura Blvd. in Tarzana Square. The free story time begins at 11 a.m. and will be followed by a craft activity. A $3 materials fee for craft participation may be applied to purchase of books. Info: (818) 342-6657.
* There is Mother's Day and there is Father's Day. Now the UCLA Fowler Museum of Cultural History is giving "Grand Day" from 1 to 6 p.m. Actor John Lithgow will present his "Kid-Size Concert" at 1 p.m. Other guests will lead arts and crafts sessions throughout the afternoon. $5; seniors, non-UCLA students and UCLA faculty / staff and Alumni Assn. members with ID, $3; UCLA students with ID, $1. Free to museum members and visitors 17 and under. The museum is on the UCLA campus, just west of Royce Hall. Parking (in Lots 4 and 5) is $5. Info: (310) 825-4361.
* Children of all ages are invited to "A Celebration of Four: The New Year and More" at Santa Monica Place. This cultural event welcomes the Jewish year 5757 with hands-on activities for four holidays--Rosh Hashana, Yom Kippur, Sukkot and Simchat Torah. From noon to 3 p.m. Free. 395 Santa Monica Place; (310) 394-5451.
* This family roundup appears on Sundays. Items to be considered should be mailed 3 1/2 weeks before the event to Aaron Davis, The Family File, Los Angeles Times, Times Mirror Square, Los Angeles, CA 90053. Fax: (213) 237-4712.