Hotel and resort discounts are always a temptation for those who enjoy a change of scene. Here are a few recent offers for seniors from various lodgings:
* The Sapphire Beach Resort in St. Thomas in the U.S. Virgin Islands is offering a Tropical Getaway package for seniors. Available through Dec. 20, the package includes a beachfront suite with private balcony and full kitchen; round-trip airport transfers; two full breakfasts; one gourmet dinner; St. Thomas Island tour; sunset cocktail sail; basket of hors d'oeuvres in room; live entertainment; and free snorkeling, Sunfish sailing, windsurfing and tennis. Grandchildren under 13 who accompany guests receive three meals daily at no additional charge when enrolled in a supervised activities program. The total price is $95 per day for guests over 50. For reservations or information, call (800) 524-2090.
* The Rose Garden Inn in Pismo Beach is offering discounts for travelers over 60. The inn is an hour's drive from either Hearst Castle or Solvang. Rates include free local telephone calls and color TV. For Sunday through Thursday occupancy, the daily room rate ranges from $19.96 to $39 for two. For Friday and Saturday, the rates range from $39 to $99 per day. For further information, call (800) 410-9545.
* Aston Hotels & Resorts Hawaii have lowered their Sun Club age eligibility requirements for senior discounts from 55 to 50. Aston operates 30 hotels and condominium properties on the four major islands in Hawaii. Lodgings feature fully equipped kitchens, swimming pools and daily maid service. Regular rates at the Aston Kaanapali Shores, for example, start at $109 for a studio suite with fully equipped kitchen. A one-bedroom, one-bath suite, which can accommodate up to four people, starts at $150. Regular rates are $145 to $200 before the discount. The Aston Waikiki Beachside Hotel, whose regular rates range from $105 to $175, offers Sun Club rates beginning at $79, including continental breakfast. For information, call Aston Hotels & Resorts (800) 922-7866.
* The historic Menger Hotel in San Antonio offers discounts on rooms with a regular rate of $132 for two, which is reduced to $80 for guests over 55. All reservations are subject to availability. For a brochure or information, call (800) 345-9285.
* The Renaissance Stanford Court Hotel on San Francisco's famed Nob Hill is offering a Golden Years rate for any guest over 60 or members of the American Assn. of Retired Persons over 55. The discounted rate for a guest room, which is regularly $275 per night, is $151 any night of the week. Prices include complimentary daily newspaper and coffee with wake-up call. For brochure or reservations, call (800) 468-3571.
* The Athenaeum Hotel & Apartments, a five-star deluxe property in London, is offering discounts for seniors over 62, a 25% discount off published rates for a net price of $350 per night. Guests who book three nights' lodging will be met at Heathrow Airport by a hotel chauffeur to assist with luggage and transport them to the hotel. Guests also receive 20% off designated health and beauty treatments. One- or two-bedroom apartments are air-conditioned, have a sitting room and fully equipped kitchen, and are located on Piccadilly Circus overlooking a park. For reservations, call (800) 335-3300 and request the mature traveler discount package.