Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollections

World IN BRIEF : ITALY

Former Prosecutor Quits, Assails Probes

November 15, 1996|From Times Wire Reports

Former prosecutor Antonio Di Pietro, the hero of Italy's long-running kickback probe, resigned as public works minister after reportedly being placed under investigation for corruption. Prosecutors are examining claims that Di Pietro took payoffs from a businessman to keep him out of a corruption investigation while Di Pietro was a top prosecutor in Milan, news reports said. Judges have rejected three indictment requests against Di Pietro in the last year. Di Pietro said the probes were in retaliation for his investigation.

Advertisement
Los Angeles Times Articles
|
|
|